COLLECTIONS > Gallery Picks > The Two Brothers

The Two Brothers

Together in life and death

two brothers

The intact tomb group of Khnum-nakht and Nakht-ankh is a star attraction of Manchester Museum’s Egyptology collection. Coffin inscriptions identify the men as sons of the same woman, Khnum-aa, giving them their popular name: the Two Brothers. The mummies date from the second half of the twelfth dynasty (c.1900 – 1783 BC) and when they were unwrapped in 1908 by Margaret Murray they were found to be poorly preserved. Further investigations of their remains and goods have shed more light on their lives and deaths. Tomb groups were normally split up across different museums which all part-funded the excavation. However, after the tomb’s discovery in 1907, Flinders Petrie petitioned to have the entire assemblage transported to Manchester.